Wednesday, July 9, 2014
5 Ways to be a More Creative Mom
1. Find some time for yourself to create - For me that means getting up at 5am to write (I know. It's not for everyone.) For you it might mean asking a family member to watch the kids every other Saturday to craft or paint. Whatever it is, find the time and block it out on the calendar.
2. Find a community of other creatives - I don't know what I would do without my local writing group and my writing friends. Even if I can't be at the monthly meeting, I make sure I stay connected to my writing friends through text, social media, or a lunch. Maybe it's the people at your local yarn store or a friend you can bounce ideas off of. Our creativity is usually connected to our passion, and no one will understand your passion like others who share it.
3. Get your kids involved - Pay attention to their creative interests and foster them. Try to be a part of it by going to a music or cake decorating class with them. Sit down with them and draw or make a collage. Make creativity a regular part of your family.
4. Journal - Even if your passion isn't writing, journaling is a great way to brainstorm ideas and clear your brain. Sometimes getting your thoughts out of your head and on to paper can make room for fresh new ideas. Find more tips on journaling here.
5. Try something new - If you love crafting, give writing a try. If you're a writer, go to a painting party. Getting out of your comfort zone will only broaden your creativity, and you might even have some fun while you're at it.
How do you stay creative?