Sunday, July 18, 2010

I love writing synopses!



Okay, maybe I don't love writing synopses, but that's what I've been telling myself for the past few weeks as I've been trying to get through one. I'm happy to announce that I finally finished and submitted the synopsis for a possible sequel to Canyon Walls!

Synopses are tough for me. Here are some things I learned this go around.

1. There's no formula, article, example, etc. that will make writing a synopsis easy. Trust me; I looked. There are plenty of great things you can learn, but the toughest part is sitting down and doing it. It usually takes me more time than I think it should to write a synopsis, and that's okay.

2. Writing a synopsis is a great way to pinpoint plot problems in your story. When I couldn't figure out a simple way to explain something in my synopsis, it was probably because it didn't belong in the story or needed to be reworked.

3. It's all about motivation. Nothing matters if your character motivations don't add up and if they're not clearly laid out in the synopsis. We have to ask "why" about everything on the page. Which leads me to critique partners, who were a huge help with this.

4. It's important to have several people critique your synopsis for two reasons. First, you go over it so many times, it's difficult to see the small mistakes you've made. Secondly, as writers we're so engrossed in our stories that it's easy to forget the reader doesn't know everything we know about our story. A good critique partner can let you know what's missing. Thank you Sue, Terri and Lacy for your help! And thank you to my husband for doing a final read through and for reminding me that...

5. At some point you just have to gather your courage and hit the send button.

Now, I have to get busy on the synopsis for book three!

25 comments:

  1. Awesome, go you! I agree, synopses are tough! But like you said, they're so helpful in finding trouble areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are hard to do but a good way to think through your plot in a concise way. I've only written one. Hope to do more.
    Keep at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cringed when I read your title, but couldn't resist reading on. Synopses are tough, but sounds like you have a good handle on them. Great reminders. #5 is hard though . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soooooo true! You've nailed it, all the challenges of writing a synopis.

    Yay for turning yours in, and all the best working on book three!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post! I don't particularly dig synopses, but the one for my current WIP helped me spot some serious plot issues. Gotta give credit where it's due, I guess. Best of luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! That sounds like a lot of work, but I bet your books are awesome. I would love to read your books. Do you have a link on here? I will start looking around:O)
    Sorry I haven't been by here in a while. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do dread writing the synopsis. But I push myself anyway. But, your post did point out some very important reasons to write that dreaded synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is how I approach it; I just sit down and let the words start pouring on the page! Once I'm done, I'm usually left with a mess, but it's a good place to start. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyway to motivate yourself is great! Even if that means lying to yourself that you love something that you don't love so much... oh my gosh I think you're on to something!!!

    I LOVE REVISING... maybe if I say it enough times it will become easier to do? Do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Synopsis are hard! I always give myself a few days to write them. I've found that if I use a basic structure (the character's GMC's, the five main plot points) I can fill the rest in.

    Congrats on finishing--and sending it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm working on a synopsis right now. Not fun, not fun at all. Congrats on finishing yours and sending it. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to write up the synopsis for my next book and turn it in to my editor. But first I'm immersing myself in research and brainstorming and trying to solidfy those beginning ideas for the book. It's always harder to write the synopsis before writing the book, isn't it? :-) I find it much easier to summarize the main points after writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you did a great job on it! You can help me when my time comes:) I hate them!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yuck. Hate them. But after judging my RWA chapter's writing contest, I can see where I am definitely not alone in struggling with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best synopsis is the one that is finished. But, if you don't have to write them, like yours truly, those are truly the greatest of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For a moment I thought you were crazy ... who LOVES writing synopsis'! :) Then I understood. But you are so correct - synopsis writing DOES help clarify things in your story. Ok ... I suppose I should go write mine now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay, Julie! You sent it off. Good job.

    I've never written a synopsis before actually writing the book. I imagine it's so much harder to do.

    Give yourself a big pat on the back!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your new picture! I haven't hit the synopsis stage yet, but can imagine it is tough. But your attitude of courage can take you through the hard times. I agree with Susan. Pat yourself on the back or even more, treat yourself to a nice massage. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The synopsis can be a painful but powerful part of the writing process. If I can muster the precise words to articulate my story in an attention grabbing way, then I'm one step closer to the bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats, Julie! Synopsis writing is tricky for me--but an inevitable part of the process. Glad yours is done. Celebration time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just so I know - is a synopsis and a query letter the same thing?
    Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on finishing the synopsis! I laughed when I read your title because I was so amazed that anybody could enjoy it, then I read your post. :) I'm not fan of writing the synopsis, but I agree with all your points, especially about the plot points!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with all of these! For me it helps to write several versions, then I can pick out what I like best of all of them. It's always stronger after that. Letting it sit is also good.

    Glad to have found your blog--gorgeous set up! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping by my blog and answering my question!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I hate synopses! But maybe if I think about them like this it won't be so bad!
    Nice to meet you. I love your blog design, so lovely!

    ReplyDelete